Usually, Saturday nights are my cheat meal nights, where I finally get some time to myself and so this week, after posting a picture of my meal on Instagram and Pinterest, I was asked to post the recipe. So, I thought this would be a great idea for a new series of posts I could put up.
From now on, every Monday, I will post the recipe and picture of my Saturday night cheat meal. My meals throughout the rest of the week are usually not all that special or anything, so there’s not much need to post pictures or recipes for them. They’re usually health conscious meals where it’s natural ingredients cooked in a simple way. I remember when I started out with making healthy meals and I often found it very difficult to eat healthy while also enjoying the flavour in my meals – it was always so bland and boring. After gaining some experience and embracing my passion for cooking, I find it easier to put together healthier options. So, if any of you would like recipes like those to be posted as well, just leave a message in the comment section below letting me know what kinds of ingredients or meals (i.e. breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) you’d like to get recipes on, and I’ll do my best to post some.
And now, on to the Spicy Mozza Chicken Penne recipe…
- 1 cup Dry Whole Wheat Penne
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Boneless Chicken
- 1 clove Garlic
- ½ Onion
- 3 stalks Asparagus
- 4 halves Stewed Tomatoes
- ½ Jalapeno
- to taste Salt
- to taste Ground Black Pepper
- to taste Dried Basil
- 1 ½ cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella
Directions (Serves 1-2 people):
- Fill a pot with water and add salt. Bring to a boil, then add whole wheat penne. Once cooked, drain out water.
- While penne is being prepped and cooked, begin preparations for sauce.
- Roughly chop boneless chicken into desired piece sizes. If you don’t have any boneless chicken, just debone any pieces you may have (in my case, I used leftover boiled chicken pieces from the night before).
- Chop ½ onion and slice garlic clove.
- Place a large skillet on a medium-high heat stovetop and add butter. Move skillet around to ensure that the butter spreads around the whole pan.
- Add chicken to skillet.
- Before chicken begins to brown, add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are tender and chicken is lightly browned.
- While chicken, onion, and garlic cook, diagonally chop asparagus and chop jalapeno.
- Once chicken, onion, and garlic are cooked, add asparagus, jalapeno and stewed tomatoes halves. Break tomatoes into chunks while in skillet (this keeps the juices in the sauce, adding liquid to it).
- Allow sauce to cook for 1-2 minutes, then add salt, pepper, and basil to taste, as well as olive oil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium, then add cooked and drained penne to skillet.
- Allow sauce to cook for a few more minutes while you roughly chop the parsley and shred the mozzarella.
- Toss pasta, then add parsley and mozzarella. Toss till cheese is melted.
- Serve 🙂